* In the wake of a major drug bust Tuesday at San Diego State University, one local family is hoping something good comes out of it. It was last year when 19-year-old SDSU student Jenny Poliakoff (pictured left) died of a reported drug overdose at an off-campus apartment. Her death, due to a mixture of cocaine and alcohol, reportedly led investigators to a months-long operation to arrest those using and selling drugs on campus.
* A San Diego woman, arrested as a fugitive on the run for more than 30 years, is on her way back to Michigan to serve out the remainder of a drug charge sentence. Susan LeFevre, 53, was released from a San Diego prison and was heading home to Michigan to face prison time. LeFevre had been living in California for three decades, is married, and the mother of three children. She reportedly never told her husband or children of her past in Michigan, where she was arrested on drug charges.
* Six California men charged with running a crime ring that stole nearly $2 million from federal and private health insurers were arrested recently in connection with an interagency effort against health care fraud. Deputy District Attorney Celia Politeo of the Organized Crime Division said the defendants collectively face 62 counts of conspiracy to commit a crime, money laundering and grand theft of personal property. The alleged crimes occurred between March 2005 and September 2006. To see more on this story, visit dailyinsurer.blogspot.com.
* The Los Angeles Lakers took a 2-0 lead in their Western Conference semifinal series with a 120-110 win over the Utah Jazz.
* The New York Mets left town with a 12-1 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in an afternoon contest at Dodger Stadium.