* An afternoon pile-up that involved nine cars and a motorcycle left the always busy Golden Gate Bridge closed for more than an hour on Wednesday afternoon. Nine people were injured, including two critically, in the mid-afternoon accident. Commuters were forced to use a couple other alternatives to get around, including the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge and the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
* One firefighter was killed and another injured Wednesday in a blast at a building near Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). The injured firefighter was reported Wednesday evening in critical condition. Authorities reported the accident took place at 8800 Sepulveda Blvd.
* An earthquake shook the Newport Beach area on Wednesday. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake measured in at 3.1 and took place shortly before 8:30 p.m.
* Despite 27 points from Kobe Bryant, the Los Angeles Lakers fell Wednesday evening to the lowly Charlotte Bobcats, 108-95.
* Mathieu Schneider and Teemu Selanne scored during the shootout for Anaheim as the Ducks posted a 2-1 OT win over the Los Angeles Kings Wednesday evening at the Honda Center.