* Police captured a parolee accused in the killing of a Yolo County sheriff's deputy in Dunnigan. Marco Antonio Topete, 35, of Arbucke was arrested for allegedly shooting and killing deputy Tony Diaz of Woodland. The shooting happened around 10 p.m. Sunday during a traffic stop. Topete reportedly then fled on foot after the shooting. Dunnigan is approximately 40 miles from Sacramento.
* Police shot and killed a man outside Turlock Saturday evening after he reportedly beat a baby to death. The man reportedly fought with passers-by who tried to intervene, before he was shot to by a police officer. The 27-year-old suspect has not been identified. The child appeared to be 1 or 2 years old.
* One woman was killed and seven others were injured Sunday after an SUV ran into a crowd of people leaving church in Venice. The vehicle hit five people around 1:15 p.m. following a Father's Day mass at the Catholic Church of St. Mark.
* The former husband of a San Diego area woman who was found dead in her driveway in May was to be arraigned today on a murder charge. Frank Weaver, 60, was arrested last month in Idaho and brought back to San Diego. While police have not said how the Santee woman died, her body exhibited signs of trauma, according to reports.
* With Game 5 in their pockets, the Los Angeles Lakers headed back east today to prepare for Tuesday night's Game 6 in the NBA Finals with the Boston Celtics. Los Angeles avoided elimination Sunday evening with a 103-98 victory at the Staples Center.
* In baseball action today, New York Mets at Los Angeles Angels (7:05 p.m.); Detroit Tigers at San Francisco Giants (7:15 p.m.).