* A brawl early today left a dozen inmates injured at the California Institution for Men. The Chino facility is the second one to see fighting this week. On Thursday, a statewide prison lockdown went into effect after three guards were stabbed at the state prison in Tehachapi. All three were in stable condition. Authorities do not believe the Chino brawl was related to the incident at Tehachapi.
* Although she was murdered nearly seven years ago, justice is arriving for a 20-year-old Cal Poly Pomona student, kidnapped and killed back in August of 2001. Henry Arnold Singer was sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison. He pleaded guilty late last year in the death of Christina Burmeister. Co-defendant James Winslow Dixon Jr. was convicted in March of first degree murder (including special circumstance allegations of murder during a roberry and kidnapping). He will be sentenced early next month. The third person, Markeisha Dixon, was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison. Burmeister was kidnapped on her way to a frat party. Her body was discovered the day after in the mountains above Azusa.
* California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner announced the arrests of nearly one dozen alleged Bay Area fraud perpetrators. Eleven subjects were arrested over the last week on numerous felony counts including insurance fraud, identity theft, possession of stolen property, and filing a false tax return. Wireless phone dealers, employees and customers were arrested for their purported involvement in a $2 million insurance scam. To see more on this story, visit dailyinsurer.blogspot.com/2008/04/bay-area-fraud-sweep-nets-arrests.html
* The Milwaukee Brewers scored five runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to post a 13-4 win over the San Francisco Giants in afternoon baseball.
* The Los Angeles Lakers clinched a playoff spot with a 112-108 win over the Dallas Mavericks.
* 7 p.m. (Angel Stadium) Texas Rangers at Los Angeles Angels - Home Opener
* 7 p.m. (Petco Park) Los Angeles Dodgers at San Diego Padres
* 7:30 p.m. (Staples Center) Dallas Mavericks at Los Angeles Lakers