* California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner announced the arrests of three individuals allegedly involved in a five-person conspiracy that resulted in a vehicle owned by one of the conspirators driven to Mexico where it was "chopped" (i.e., taken apart so that its parts can be used or sold separately). On March 25, 2008, Ninfa Patricia Ramos-Ortiz, 44, of Hawaiian Gardens was arrested on three felony insurance fraud charges. On March 26, 2008, Ana Laura Salgado-Antunez (aka Ana Laura Salgado or Ana Laura Antunez), 26, of Santa Ana was arrested on five felony insurance fraud charges. And on March 27, 2008, Ramos-Ortiz's son, Julio Edder Ramos-Alarcon (aka Julio Ramos Alarcon, Julio Edder Ramos, or Julio Edder Alarcon), 25, also of Hawaiian Gardens was arrested on six felony insurance fraud charges. Each felony insurance fraud charge is punishable by up to five years in prison and/or a $50,000 fine.
Arrest warrants for multiple insurance fraud felonies are still outstanding for:
- Diana Maldonado Cruz, 38, of Tijauna, Mexico
- Juan Diego Cartagena-Alarcon, 31, of Tijauna, Mexico
* In another sign of hard economic times, the City of San Francisco will eliminate 301 governmental jobs in hopes of balancing the budget. Mayor Gavin Newsom made the announcement and noted that the majority of positions being terminated were currently vacant. The biggest cuts will be at Laguna Honda Hospital, where around 200 jobs are being eliminated. The hospital opened its doors in 1866.
* Police report that an Illinois man has been arrested after allegedly stealing more than 300 gallons of kitchen grease from a Morgan Hill Burger King on Tuesday. The man reportedly was observed by two witnesses pumping the inedible grease from an on-site storage tank to his restaurant oils truck. The estimated value of the stolen grease was just over $400.
* In afternoon baseball, the Anaheim Angels scored a 9-1 victory at Minnesota. Vladimir Guerrero went 3-for-4 with three RBIs.
* The Los Angeles Dodgers ran their record to 2-0 Tuesday night with a 3-2 win over rival San Francisco. Down the coast, the San Diego Padres also remained unbeaten with a 2-1 victory over Houston.
* The San Jose Sharks won their 49th game of the season Tuesday night in a 5-2 victory over the Los Angeles Kings.
* 7:30 p.m. (Staples Center) Portland Trailblazers at Los Angeles Lakers