* The federal government has billed a Chino slaughterhouse more than $67 million related to the largest U.S. beef recall in the nation's history. It was back in February that the USDA recalled some 143 million pounds of beef after reports showed that a number of the cows who were too weak or sick had been abused.
* Two men in their early 20s have been charged with murder for their reported participation in a Los Angeles robbery gone bad that left two teenage girls, their reported co-conspirators, dead. The two men were charged with two counts of murder and the special allegation involving personal use of a firearm. The two reportedly tried to rob a taxi on Tuesday as the two teen women were riding in the cab. After unsuccessfully trying to hold up the cab driver, the two men followed the cab with the girls in it. The cab driver lost control of the vehicle when one of the girls reportedly pulled a box cutter on him. The driver survived, the two girls were killed.
* A former Miss California USA is suing the pageant for $500,000, claiming she lost her crown due to racism on management's part. Christine Silva, who won the title last November, was told three days after winning the crown that there had been a "mistake" and that she was not the winner. Raquel Beezley was then crowned Miss California USA.
Editor's note: For more world and national news and opinions, please visit newsblip.blogspot.com .
* The Golden State Warriors fell one game out of the last playoff spot in the Western Conference with three games to go in a 114-105 loss to Denver. The Nuggets lead the Warriors by one game and own the tiebreaker between the two teams.
* The Los Angeles Lakers completed a season-series sweep of the Los Angeles Clippers with a 106-78 victory at Staples Center.