* One trucker was injured and traffic was tied up for hours early Tuesday morning on the westbound Foothill 210 Freeway in Sunland. Authorities reported that two big rigs crashed, resulting in thousands of pounds of onions being spilled onto the roadway. The accident happened just before midnight and westbound traffic was halted until around 3:15 a.m. when two lanes were reopened. All lanes were reopened around 6:30 a.m.
* In yet another sign of trimming costs in the media, San Francisco TV station KPIX is laying off 14 newsroom employees. Among the more notable departures are those of Manny Ramos, Bill Schechner, Tony Russomano and John Lobertini. Schechner has been on Bay Area television since 1972.
* Passengers destined for San Diego early Tuesday morning on the Coaster were delayed when a southbound train hit an abandoned vehicle on the tracks in Del Mar. No injuries were reported among the 200 or so people on the train. The collision happened shortly before 6 a.m.
* Emily Leatherman, who was ordered to not have contact with actor John Cusack, has been arrested on suspicion of stalking the celebrity and also for violating a restraining order. Leatherman, 33, was taken into custody on Sunday when Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies were summoned to Cusack's neighborhood. Cusack reportedly alerted the police that he recognized the woman, who was in a cab at the time, of being the individual who had previously sought contact with him. Leatherman was being held on $150,000 bail.
* The Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres opened the 2008 season with shutout victories on Monday. Los Angeles scored a 5-0 win over rival San Francisco in Joe Torre's managerial debut, while the Padres and Cy Young Award winner Jake Peavy posted a 4-0 win over the Houston Astros.
* Candice Wiggins poured in 41 points in a 98-87 win over Maryland Monday night to lead Stanford into the NCAA Women's Basketball Final Four this weekend in Tampa. The Lady Cardinal last played in the Final Four in 1997 and will meet the winner of tonight's Connecticut-Rutgers contest.
* 7 p.m. (McAfee Coliseum) Boston Red Sox at Oakland A's - Home Opener
* 7:30 p.m. (HP Pavilion) Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks