* Two teen girls from Los Angeles were killed when a taxi cab crashed in City Terrace after one of the teens allegedly assaulted the driver of the cab. The reported assault led to the cab crashing into a concrete barrier. Two men in their early 20s were detained and are suspected of being involved with the girls in a reported plan to rob the driver, who survived the crash.
* The Olympic torch arrived in San Francisco in the early morning hours as more protests are feared over the next 24 hours. Making its only North American stop, the torch is to be carried through the city on Wednesday in a six-mile relay amid tight security. People are protesting this summer's 2008 games in China because of the country's human rights record.
* San Diego police will vote Wednesday on a new contract. While details of the proposed contract have not been released, it reportedly includes a pay raise. Most officers received a 9 percent pay raise a year ago.
Editor's note: For more world and national news and opinions, please visit newsblip.blogspot.com .
* The dream of a national women's basketball title ended in the evening hours in Atlanta for the Stanford Lady Cardinal. Tennessee captured its eighth national crown with a convincing 64-48 victory over Stanford.
* The Oakland A's got one run in the ninth inning to post a 9-8 win at Toronto. Meantime, the Cleveland Indians got two runs in the ninth inning in a 4-3 win over the Los Angeles Angels.